Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Anticipation

The end-of-the-year lists have begun. The new issue of Paste ranks the top 50 albums of 2007, with The National's Boxer claiming the No. 1 spot. I've probably been annoying people all year with my National lauding, so it's good to see them get some well-deserved love.

I'm thinking I'll do a Top 20 of 2007 list, and undoubtedly Boxer will end up in the top five. But until then, there are a few releases I'm looking forward to in 2008, including albums from U2 (hopefully), My Bloody Valentine and The Mountain Goats. But I think I'm most looking forward to Bon Iver's debut on Jagjaguwar. I only have three tracks from Bon Iver (aka Justin Vernon), but I can't stop listening to them. Vernon doesn't really sound like Sam Beam, but fans of Iron & Wine will probably enjoy him nonetheless, mostly because it's acoustic, folkish and Vernon has a beard. Where Beam is whispery and delicate, Vernon uses ample amounts of falsetto and some soul to create achingly beautiful, semi-lo-fi love songs.

Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

No comments: