I've been listening to a stream of Cease to Begin, the new album from Band of Horses that's out on Oct. 9, and I can't get the first tune--"Is There a Ghost"--out of my head. It's like an Explosions in the Sky song that starts quietly crystalline and then builds not-so-slowly to a distorted climax. Singer Ben Bridwell is awash in reverb as usual, as if James Mercer borrowed Jim James's singing cavern.
But what really amazes me is that the song's lyrics consist of only two short sentences: "I could sleep when I lived alone. Is there a ghost in my house?" That's it. Just repetitions of that. I can't say it's terribly meaningful or that it really reminds me of a time when I was struggling with a similar issue, but it works. Guess that goes to show how much atmosphere and dynamics can add to otherwise blah lyrics.
mp3: Band of Horses - Is There a Ghost
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Band of few words
muttered
Joel
at
3:53 PM
Labels: Band of Horses, Is There a Ghost
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey bud, it's my first comment!
Have you heard Columbus band Brainbow yet? They take it a step further and use no lyrics. It works surprisingly well too.
Hey Chris,
I haven't heard them yet, but I keep hearing about them. I saw they're opening up for Brian Jonestown Massacre this weekend. I'll have to check them out soon...
Definitely let me know if/when you can make it out to see them. Laura and I are going to make it out to at least one of their next two shows.
Post a Comment