Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Iconic bands I don't like

There's an interesting message board discussion over at Donewaiting.com about unpopular music opinions. Here's my top three overrated artists of the past 30 years:

1. Morrissey/The Smiths
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Social Distortion

5 comments:

Schuyler said...

Joel,

I must respectfully disagree with your choice of the Smiths as the most overrated iconic band. Johnny Marr helped bring the guitar back to popular music, Morrisey pushed the boundaries lyrically, and they made sweet sweet melodies. Now "The Boss" is deserving of all the overrated slurs you can possibly sling at him.

The OldirtyCQ said...

3 Most Overrated Bands / Musicians:

1. Johann Sebastian Bach - Guttentach, Herr SUCK!

2. Meatloaf - Apparently, and this is true, Bat Out of Hell is the highest selling album of all time in Australia. Ha!

3. Feedback. Losers!

I'm just messing with you for a line or two, but the first two guys really do suck. I hope all is well with Li'l Liam. I'll see you in about 4 weeks now. Sweet.

Oh yeah, if you have 10 mintues for a laugh, I really can't believe that this was actually made into a movie and it deserves all of the lampooning it can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngBNklagsHQ

The OldirtyCQ said...

3 Most Overrated Bands / Musicians:

1. Johann Sebastian Bach - Guttentach, Herr SUCK!

2. Meatloaf - Apparently, and this is true, Bat Out of Hell is the highest selling album of all time in Australia. Ha!

3. Feedback. Losers!

I'm just messing with you for a line or two, but the first two guys really do suck. I hope all is well with Li'l Liam. I'll see you in about 4 weeks now. Sweet.

Oh yeah, if you have 10 mintues for a laugh, I really can't believe that this was actually made into a movie and it deserves all of the lampooning it can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngBNklagsHQ

evan said...

Joel,

I, on the other hand, disrespectfully agree with your assessment of springsteen....you idiot.

Evan

Joel said...

Schuyler,
I would agree that Johnny Marr is a fine guitarist. My problem is more with Morrissey, though I admit I'm very much in the minority on this one. His songs just tend to bore me.

Evan-- consider yourself disrespected.